[QGIS-Developer] The curious case of GeoPackage on exFAT

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon May 18 08:49:26 PDT 2020

Hi Bo,

Looking at the WAL docs for SQLite (https://www.sqlite.org/wal.html)
(what geopackage is built from) I see this:

"The WAL file exists for as long as any database connection has the
database open. Usually, the WAL file is deleted automatically when the
last connection to the database closes. However, if the last process to
have the database open exits without cleanly shutting down the database
connection, or if the SQLITE_FCNTL_PERSIST_WAL file control is used,
then the WAL file might be retained on disk after all connections to the
database have been closed."

So it sounds like whatever the last process is to touch the GeoPackage
may not be closing the connection cleanly on exFat.

Cheers,

Jonathan