[QGIS-Developer] QGIS, DateTime and TimeZones

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Nov 9 07:28:48 PST 2020

On 11/9/20 3:48 PM, C Hamilton wrote:
> This all sounds good to me. I am guessing that we will not be able to get around a fairly large data set because of the need to keep the accuracy of the boundaries. There is a project called Timezone Boundary Builder (https://github.com/evansiroky/timezone-boundary-builder) that is a detailed polygon of the time zones based on OSM data with one attribute which is the time zone.

Mmm, 100Mb (both as gpkg and shp and 65Mb as zipped shp. Are there any shrinking pills (algo's) available for those? Else maybe make it an alternative download? Though that complicates stuff probably.

Googling about d3js and timezones (hoping the Math-people maybe had better idea's), I found:
https://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/9234731/1ed485516e30474ad75ec115c928bc175683ae58
pointing to http://efele.net/maps/tz/world/tz_world_mp.zip
which is a lot smaller (but lacks the buffer into the sea/water). Ah, no longer maintained: http://efele.net/maps/tz/ :-(

Regards,