[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-developer] Select Within plugin, for Centroid Within and Point on Surface Within selections

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 17:07:26 PDT 2020

Salut Harrissou,

Many thanks for the hint! My bad.

It's actually "Extract by location" what I'm looking for.

I somehow don't get the logic:
1. of the Vector menu tool names (Analysis, Research, Geoprocessing,
Geometry and Data management); and
2. the criteria, when a Geoprocessing algorithm is being shown in the menu
(like "Select by location"), and when not (Extract by location).

:Stefan

Am Mi., 7. Okt. 2020 um 22:05 Uhr schrieb DelazJ <delazj at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> Stefan, something like the "Select by location" algorithm [0]? I could
> find mention of it in 2.6 docs [1] so not something new.
>
> [0]
> https://docs.qgis.org/3.10/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vectorselection.html#select-by-location
> [1]
> https://docs.qgis.org/2.6/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vector_selection_tools/selectbylocation.html
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>
> Le mer. 7 oct. 2020 à 20:32, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Dear Heikki, dear QGIS devs
>>
>> Recently I had the need to select features based on polygon(s) from
>> another layer.
>> IMHO this is a functionality which comes pretty close to "Geoprocessing
>> Intersection". In ArcGIS this exists quite some time.
>> After desperately seeking around I stumbled upon this nice plugin "Select
>> Within" which mainly does the job and which exists since QGIS 1.8 or so.
>> => Q1: Did I miss somethin in QGIS v3.10?
>> => Q2: If no, are there any plans to integrate this functionality into
>> core?
>>
>> :Stefan
>>

>> Am Mi., 26. Aug. 2015 um 00:50 Uhr schrieb Heikki Vesanto <
>> heikki.vesanto at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Replicating the SQLite based methodology in:
>>> http://gisforthought.com/centroid-within-selection-in-qgis/
>>>
>>> But using a plugin. Was surprisingly straightforward, but an
>>> absolutely essential tool if selection postcode areas that fall within
>>> local council areas for example.
>>>
>>> Performance needs some work, and would love to see the functionality
>>> added to the Spatial Query core plugin in the future.
>>>
>>> Also having some issues with my metadata.txt file.
>>>
>>> It reads:
>>> [general]
>>> name=Select Within
>>>
>>> description=Centroid within and point of surface within selection
>>> between vector layers.
>>> category=Vector
>>> version=0.1
>>> experimental=False