[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] Phasing out 32-bit support in QGIS for

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Oct 15 05:11:05 PDT 2020

Marco Bernasocchi <marco at qgis.org> writes:

> tl;dr QGIS will drop 32-bit support on Windows after the QGIS 3.16 release
> when we update our Qt dependencies to Qt 5.15.

Two questions from a packaging viewpoint (I help maintain the qgis entry
in pkgsrc):

  I am guessing that this "dropping 32-bit on Windows" is mostly if not
  entirely about project-built binaries, and does not mean that the
  source code will stop compiling on various CPU architectures.   I
  would expect a continued notion that qgis source code should not make
  assumptions about CPU architecture.

  I don't quite follow "update our dependencies to Qt 5.15".  This seems
  to be tied to Windows packaging in the announcement, but I think it's
  about declaring a requirement of 5.15 for building the source code,
  and then modifying the source code to use 5.15 interfaces and not use
  any deprecated interfaces, so that the code will be buildable also
  with Qt 6, which promises to supporting building any code which builds
  against 5.15 without deprecation warnings.  Is that right?