[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Debug build fails to launch in QtCreator

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Sep 3 14:02:12 PDT 2020

Dear QGIS Developers

I am trying to run QGIS in debug mode in Qt-Creator. When I launch the QGIS
executable from QtCreator, I can see the application starting up but then
after a short time it crashes out. This happens both when I press the green
'Run' triangle icon and when I press the green 'Start Debugging of Target
Project' triangle icon.

I am building on pop_os! (essentially Ubuntu 20.04, 64 bit) using GCC
without CCache and I have CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE set to Debug.

After starting QGIS it thinks for a while and then dies with the following
(full log of messages here [1]).

21:21:14: Debugging starts
src/app/main.cpp:505 : (main) [0ms] Starting qgis main
src/core/qgsmessagelog.cpp:29 : (logMessage) [379ms] 2020-09-03T21:21:45
[1] Successfully loaded globalsettingsfile path:
/home/timlinux/dev/cpp/QGIS-Debug-Build/output/data/resources/qgis_global_settings.ini
src/core/qgscolorramp.cpp:732 : (loadFile) [103ms] filename=
/home/timlinux/dev/cpp/QGIS-Debug-Build/output/data/resources/cpt-city-qgis-min/grass/elevation.svg
loaded=0
QGIS died on signal 11Could not attach to process.  If your uid matches the
uid of the target
process, check the setting of /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope, or try
again as the root user.  For more details, see /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
warning: process 223467 is already traced by process 223447
ptrace: Operation not permitted.
No thread selected
No stack.
gdb returned 256
21:30:39: Debugging has finished

When I googled the ptrace error message above I found this StackOverflow
post[2] which seems to address the same issue. However, even after trying
all the various hints listed there, I still have the crash whenever I try
to launch QGIS in debug mode, or outside of a debugger.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can you help me fix it?

Many thanks!

Regards

Tim

[1] https://gist.github.com/timlinux/ac7468675e08f18428e3fe60d7e9633c