[QGIS-Developer] py3_env in Windows installers

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Sep 8 05:33:55 PDT 2020

Hi Richard,

On Tue, 08. Sep 2020 at 10:45:21 +0200, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 9/8/20 10:32 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> > > I know this was to be able to handle both py2 and py3, but I do not think
> > > we need to use python2 anymore is it?

> > py2 is still available in osgeo4w - although we don't use it anymore for QGIS.

> IS it still used by other osgeo4w components? Would be nice to clean it out
> if that was possible (as py2 not supported etc etc)?

None non-obsolete components at least.  That probably also applies to the VC
2008 runtime.

> > > In that case I would propose to make py3_env part of the osgeo4w.bat file
> > > so we can instruct people to just go to the osgeo4w bat file to eventually
> > > pip install modules usable in QGIS?

> > You could also just move py3_env.bat to etc\ini\python3-core.bat and create an
> > empty py3_env.bat.

> That is for this user yes? Or are you talking about in the sources?

Which user?    I'm talking about osgeo4w.   There's a etc/ini/python-core.bat
in python-core (2) that makes python2 default if it's installed and that used
to be the default installed python.  py3_env.bat was added to switch from there
to python3.  If we were going to change that, the contents of py3_env.bat
should be moved to etc/ini - so that it's sourced by o4w_env.bat, which all the
batch files that start applications source.   The osgeo4w shell itself doesn't
use any python.

All of the above is osgeo4w and not QGIS.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode