[QGIS-Developer] Make QGIS-Server more modular and specialized?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:17:19 PDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 6:48 PM Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Dear QGIS (Server) devs,
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to make QGIS server more "modular" in a future version? I mean that at compile time you could decide which services should be enabled and which not? Example: if you are only interested in WMS, could you switch off all the other services?

Hi Andreas,

It is already possible, at the service level, we now have separate
packages for the different services so you can actually install only
what you want.

See: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/37682

But I doubt that you will gain any speed: the part of the code that
decides what service is invoked is really fast compared to the rest of
the processing.

Another simple thing I was thinking about is to have a service
"badlist" or a "goodlist" where we list in an environment variable the
services that we want to be loaded (or not loaded)

Cheers

> Another usage scenario: a larger installation of QGIS server might want to separate server instances for WMS, WFS or other services and assign different resources to it.
>
> Also, would it be possible to make QGIS Server a bit leaner/smaller/faster that way - or is the stuff the makes QGIS Server "fat" mainly the qt dependencies?
>
> Thanks for the discussion,
>
> Andreas

Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net