[QGIS-Developer] Make QGIS-Server more modular and specialized?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:20:01 PDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 7:02 PM Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Another scenario would be to have a specialized server only for GetPrint requests. Those are often quite resource intensive (because of higher dpi requests) and it would make sense, at a larger  installation - to have dedicated instances for GetPrint only.

This is a different story, because GetPrint is not a service by itself
but is part of a WMS request.

I don't think we want to have that granularity, but in case you need
it, a simple filter Python plugin is perfectly capable of
denying/allowing a request based on the incoming URL.

Cheers

> Andreas
>
> On 2020-09-29 18:48, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>
> Dear QGIS (Server) devs,
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to make QGIS server more "modular" in a future version? I mean that at compile time you could decide which services should be enabled and which not? Example: if you are only interested in WMS, could you switch off all the other services?
>
> Another usage scenario: a larger installation of QGIS server might want to separate server instances for WMS, WFS or other services and assign different resources to it.
>
> Also, would it be possible to make QGIS Server a bit leaner/smaller/faster that way - or is the stuff the makes QGIS Server "fat" mainly the qt dependencies?
>
> Thanks for the discussion,
>
> Andreas

Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net