[QGIS-Developer] GSoC 2021 QGIS On-the-fly Raster Calculator proposal draft review and feedback

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 06:02:22 PDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 2:20 PM Francesco Bursi
<francesco.bursi at hotmail.it> wrote:

> Hello QGIS Dev,
>

> I’m Francesco Bursi, an M.Sc. civil engineer from Italy currently enrolled in a Master of Advanced Studies (Level 8 EQF) in giscience and geoinformatics at the University of Padua.
>
> I’m really interested in the QGIS (possible) new rendering feature that involves raster calculator capabilities, I've already discussed the project with mentors Martin Tobias and Peter Petrik and possible co-mentor Roberto Marzocchi,  they gave me a lot of feedback and advice for the project.
> I would like to share my proposal with you before the final submission. Don't hesitate to give me feedback and ask me question/clarification or point me out what's missing.
>

> proposal 2021
>

> I'm open to advice, remarks and criticism in order to improve.
>
> I am looking forward to a feedback, thank you for your time.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Francesco Bursi

Hi Francesco,

your proposal looks very interesting to me, since the core raster
calculator does support GPU acceleration through OpenCL I think that
there are good chances that it will be also fast enough to be usable
in practice.

Have you looked at the other implementations on OTF raster renderers?
There are two I'm aware of: the contour and the hillshade, the latter
uses GPU acceleration as well.

Best of luck!

--
Alessandro Pasotti