[QGIS-Developer] Stale bot and older requests/issues - possible enhancement

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Fri Jan 8 07:58:29 PST 2021

Hi,

I have a different opinion on this. We should emphasis the community
component of our QGIS open source project. Just asking to pay if they
want the issue solved, is what any commercial software project does. It
does not help to create new contributors.

Reporting and working on issues is (should be) included in our strategy
to promote participation and get new blood. It is a good place to engage
new users into QGIS development.

Users should be encourage to know better the community and the people
behind the software. If a issue is tagged as stale, we should help them
to identify and know the people related/behind that feature. Without
knowing the people and without communication, there is no community.

When people know and trust the community behind software, they will
invest money in. In other words, it is too soon to ask for money for
someone that just filled an issue in github.

Just my two cents.

Jorge Gustavo

Às 00:42 de 07/01/21, Nyall Dawson escreveu:
> Hi list,
>
> I've a small request to consider for stale bot and issues/feature
> requests. I think that if a ticket remains open for say > 90 days
> since the last comment, it would be nice if stale bot added a comment
> like:
>
> "Unfortunately this bug/feature request has not seen any solution in
> the recent QGIS release. If this fix/feature is important to you or
> your organisation, you can help to fast-track its development by
> sponsoring this work. To do so, contact one of the QGIS commercial
> support providers listed at ... to discuss how you could fund this
> functionality".
>
> I think it's a non-threatening, non-begging way to advise bug
> reporters on the alternative ways they can fast track development in
> QGIS.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Nyall

J. Gustavo