[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server and Desktop on same machine in production?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 06:01:37 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 2:48 PM pathmapper <pathmapper at posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use processing from the command line
> (https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/processing/standalone.html)
>
> on the same Ubuntu machine where QGIS server is running:
>
> Every information I did find so far says to install QGIS Desktop to have
> qgis_process available, but the training manual states:
>
> "QGIS Server should be used in production without QGIS Desktop (with the
> accompanying X Server) installed on the same machine."
>
> Source:
>
> https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/training_manual/qgis_server/install.html#moderate-fa-install-from-packages
>
> Is this recommendation still valid, and if yes, why?

That recommendation has never been valid from a technical point of view.

That said, it is not common nor recommended to perform common desktop
operations on a production server, I've seen only a single example of such
weird promiscuity in my whole career, in particular, that was a guy working
for a public administration and the production server was his personal
computer standing on his desktop.

For this reason all the documentation you will find assumes that the server
is running on a headless server without X-Window running because that's
what you will normally find with only a few very rare exceptions and it is
not wise to do differently.

I don't know how qgis_process is packaged but I don't see a reason why it
would not run under the same server setup, it will just probably require
xvfb-run before calling it.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net