[QGIS-Developer] WSLg

Alister Hood alister.hood at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 22:01:53 PDT 2021

For anyone who is tempted to "look", be aware that although Microsoft
hasn't encouraged it, it has been possible for years to run X apps and even
audio apps (using pulseaudio) in WSL.  This new "WSLg" might provide nice
out-of-the-box support, but it only works with WSL-2, which still has some
major downsides compared to WSL-1, so depending on what you want to do, you
might be better off with an old WSL-1 system.
1. WSL2 is touted as having better performance, but this relates to doing
things inside the Linux system.  It is apparently much slower for accessing
files in the windows system, so that is officially discouraged
2. It grows to take up all your disk space:
https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/4699

Regards,
Alister