[QGIS-Developer] URGENT AS CAN BE: QGIS 3.16.12 and sip 6?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Nov 4 17:42:48 PDT 2021

Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> writes:

> Hi Nyall,
>
> On Fri, 05. Nov 2021 at 08:28:33 +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> > We also then need to push out a news feed item advising that 3.16.12
>> > has critical issues and that all users should update to 3.16.13.
>
>> Any response to this? I feel SO strongly that we need to push this out
>> as a matter of urgency.
>
> Hm, I don't.  The affected windows packages are already fixed.  People just
> need to update to the latest packages.  Doing another release wouldn't change
> nothing more than the version number and trigger a lot of otherwise useless
> rebuilds - even on platforms that were not even affected.   And the next point
> release is only two weeks away.

As someone who thinks releases are fundamentally about source code, I
find the "official binaries" being considered as "project releases"
tightly bound to the code being an unfortunate situation.  It took me a
minute to realize this was all about choices of dependencies in releases
of compiled binaries, and nothing about the actual 3.16.12 source
release.

WIth packager hat on, I wonder if sip 5 or 6 is truly broken, or if qgis
has a bug where sip6 is not actually buggy but does something bad on
qgis, or something else.  I didn't see a bug URL and am wondering if I
should be sticking a note in our py-sip package to  ask that it not be
updated past the current 4.19.25.