[QGIS-Developer] URGENT AS CAN BE: QGIS 3.16.12 and sip 6?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 17:51:20 PDT 2021

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 10:42, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> As someone who thinks releases are fundamentally about source code, I
> find the "official binaries" being considered as "project releases"
> tightly bound to the code being an unfortunate situation.  It took me a
> minute to realize this was all about choices of dependencies in releases
> of compiled binaries, and nothing about the actual 3.16.12 source
> release.

Well, it IS a bit messy. The bug is triggered by a patch which is
downstream in the WINDOWS Qgis installer only. So yes, the source is
fine, no bugs there. But realistically I don't think we can wash our
hands of this issue (for all the reasons I've already pointed out),
and just need to push out 3.16.13 which is a version number bump only.
(with the required fixes in the downstream QGIS windows installer).

> WIth packager hat on, I wonder if sip 5 or 6 is truly broken

It's not.

>, or if qgis
> has a bug where sip6 is not actually buggy but does something bad on
> qgis, or something else.

Exactly this. And it's important to point out that the official qgis
3.16.12 source release does NOT have support for these sip versions at
all, that's a downstream patch in the Windows installer only.

3.22.0 DOES have the buggy support for sip > 4, so it is affected
regardless of the platform. (It'll only work ok on builds using sip
4).

>  I didn't see a bug URL and am wondering if I
> should be sticking a note in our py-sip package to  ask that it not be
> updated past the current 4.19.25.

That's not necessary, this is all mess on QGIS' side.

Nyall