[QGIS-Developer] URGENT AS CAN BE: QGIS 3.16.12 and sip 6?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Nov 4 17:55:56 PDT 2021

Hi Greg,

On Thu, 04. Nov 2021 at 20:42:48 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> As someone who thinks releases are fundamentally about source code, I
> find the "official binaries" being considered as "project releases"
> tightly bound to the code being an unfortunate situation.  It took me a
> minute to realize this was all about choices of dependencies in releases
> of compiled binaries, and nothing about the actual 3.16.12 source
> release.

SIP isn't broken, it's were our SIP-Bindings in 3.22.  That's meanwhile fixed
in the release branch.  The current 3.22 windows package in OSGeo4W v2 also
has that patch applied.  The release package for other platforms still have
that issue.

To build master/3.22 SIP in OSGeo4W had to be updated to support SIP6.  But
that is not supported by 3.16 at all.  So I backported the SIP6-Support to 3.16
in the OSGeo4W v2 packaging - thereby also introducing unintentionally
introducing that SIP binding issue from 3.22.  That also meanwhile fixes in
OSGeo4W v2.

The 3.16 binaries in old OSGeo4W are still built with SIP4 and therefore didn't
need those changes and are in turn unaffected. Same as the NSIS standalone
installers that are made from old OSGeo4W.

The MSI standalone installer are made from OSGeo4W v2 and were also updated
with the fixes binaries from OSGeo4W.

The affected versions were all of 3.22.0 and 3.16.12 only in OSGeo4W v2.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Software Engineer         D-26506 Norden              https://www.norbit.de