[QGIS-Developer] URGENT AS CAN BE: QGIS 3.16.12 and sip 6?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Nov 5 06:47:51 PDT 2021

Thanks to both of you for explaining.

I'm going to ignore sip 5, as it seems like some things need 4 (which
today means 4.19.25), and some things support "modern sip" and are thus
ok with 6.

So as I see it:

  In packaging, given that qgis is at 3.16, I need to keep sip at
  4.19.25 because 3.16.x does not support sip 6 at all.  (Or have
  multiple sip versions, but I don't want to go there.)

  3.22.0 has broken support for sip 6.  I should be able to build it
  with 4.19.25, but not 6.

  The 3.22 maintenance branch has a fix for sip 6, so 3.22.1, when it
  appears, will be ok with sip 6.

  3.22 is headed for LTR, but the LTR label has not yet been moved to
  it.  So in pkgsrc, I should leave qgis at 3.16 for now.  January would
  be a good time to change pkgsrc, given our release schedule, and by
  then 3.22 might or might not be blessed as LTR.

  3.22 will work fine with sip 4, and thus I can upgrade qgis to 3.22,
  and ask if any other sip users need 4 vs 6, and then see about a sip
  ugprade.

and

  In INSTALL.md on 3.16.x, it says that sip must be >= 4.12, and doesn't
  mention < 5.