[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS LTR releases -- is it time to pull the plug?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Nov 16 08:50:50 PST 2021

Hi Bo,

On Tue, 16. Nov 2021 at 12:00:07 +0100, Bo Victor Thomsen wrote:
> * In my experience, the 1 - year period for LTR is the shortest period
>   acceptable for organisations. They don't want to repackage QGIS every 6
>   months and certainly not every 4 months. You might even let the period be
>   1.5- 2 years instead of 1 year.

Hm, but that contradicts the point of the LTR, doesn't it?

The LTR is about maintaining a branch for a year - and issuing a point release
every month with fixes - and not about getting the first release of the LTR
right (or the first after four month of the new LTR also beeing the current
release) and then sticking with that for a year.

If the point releases are not used anyway, there isn't any issue now.
Otherwise there should be repacking each month.

One point of the OSGeo4W update was also updating all dependencies - because
the previous one had some vulnerabilities - which also worries some
organizations - even if probably most - if not all - of them don't do any harm
if used from within QGIS.

Keeping the old versions, but still backporting fixes to everything those would
be another extra level of work.

Did we have any issues that were introduced by the actual new versions
themselves?  I guess most were "just" packaging issues.

BTW we're not relying on fixed version (number)s on other platforms than
Windows either.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                 IRC: jef on Libera|OFTC