[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS LTR releases -- is it time to pull the plug?

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 09:41:31 PST 2021

Hi Jürgen -

Let me clarify (and make some pretty hefty generalisations, so apologies
beforehand to any IT admin on the list)  -

  * IT admins don't like to make "new" versions 3.16, 3.18 and
    especially not every 4 months. It's a bother to make a new package
    from scratch; to register it in whatever installation/upgrade system
    they have and start some automatic or manual roll-out.

  * But most IT admins can make a "point" upgrade like 3.16.11 ->
    3.16.12, because they don't need to do anything than "refreshing" an
    already existing package and push the button for an automatic
    roll-out. No extra administration.

  * They probably won't make an upgrade and roll-out for each and every
    minor point release, i.e. from 3.16.11 -> 3.16.12 but will wait for
    the GIS admin to come and ask for it.

  * Most will wait for a specific QGIS release to get the LTR
    designation and probably a point release or two after that and then
    make a new QGIS roll-out for the organisation at that point.
    Superstition maybe ?

  * And some don't give a flying fig and just package the first LTR
    version and never bother to upgrade this.

So yes, the LTR point releases are used. Not all point releases will be
installed every time, but some will.

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen