[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Developer support channels

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Sep 27 01:57:08 PDT 2021

Hi

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 5:31 PM Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 07:55:55AM +0200, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> > On 9/20/21 10:45 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> contributor-focused text
> around
> QGIS"

> was
> really took

I'm not sure if that is true - we foster an active discussion in the
telegram group with around 1600 users in it which has daily chatter,
moderation, and provides a good resource to general QGIS users. I think
that is more than we ever had in IRC. I believe there is also a facebook
group which is host to 40000 users or something like that (word of mouth,
never been in there) and is well moderated. So while IRC was great in its
day it really has been replaced by things more relevant to today's user who
expects to be able to drag and drop images  into a chat, make emojis etc.

So the real loss here (as Nyall sparked the thread to point out) is a forum
for the contributor community to be able to chat without the noise of 'how
do I add a layer to my map' type questions.

> Not much life left there -
> > >
> > > That's a good point. I'd honestly prefer some channel which is
> > > somewhat gated however, just to weed out the end-user support
> > > questions. From my experience the irc channel (and matrix and its
> > > linked channels) did get quite of lot of these "can anyone help me
> > > with my data?... hello?.... anyone?.... *disconnects*" activity :P
> >
> > I would be ok with both IRC, but I think a #qgis-dev channel on either
> matrix.org or matrix.osgeo.org would do.
> >
> > There are proper matrix clients for web and phones ( even for Linux
> phones ;-) ).
>
> I love Matrix but I've to say I still don't have a proper console
> client (used to have a weechat plugin but it broke and was never able
> to recover from it) so a bridge to IRC would still be great to me.
>
> I'm starting to think that adding an IRC server to the OSGeo
> infrastructure could be a good idea :)

For me if we cannot paste screenshots and formatted code listings,
hyperlinks it would be a massive step back to the early 2000's so please,
let's use something more modern....

> > And we could create a invite only group, setting the bar to say 1
> accepted Pull (whatever qgis repo) Request or so?
> > Then we could invite recent github committers, and also tell everybody
> via the dev list to apply for the invite (and show a link to an accepted
> PR)? This makes it not a 'friends'-only list, but a little more objective?
>
> Are you afraid of spam that you want the group to be private ?

I think Nyall is less concerned with spam than with off topic noise. And
how about we make the group read for all but to write in it you have to be
able to demonstrate that you are a contributor rather than just a user? Is
that possible in matrix?

Regards

Tim

> --strk;