[QGIS-Developer] Questions of a newbie starting with QGIS Server

Harrissou s. delazj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 09:58:05 PDT 2022

Hi QGISers (sorry for cross-posting)

I'm trying to setup a QGIS Server... on Windows and I'd like to share some
suggestions/issues I faced in the process and ultimately ask for help on a
bigger issue.
I'm following the QGIS documentation instructions [0] and took the
opportunity to update the docs[1][2], given that osgeo4w provides means to
install apache. Review welcome, thanks.

In the docs, it is suggested to add at the end of the httpd.conf file a
set of variables. But I notice that *most* of them are already set in the
httpd_qgis.conf file that is #included at the end of the httpd.conf file. I
hence ignored the addition but, Questions:
- are the GDAL_DATA and QGIS_AUTH_DB_DIR_PATH necessary for any purpose?
- If so, for what? And is it possible (does it make sense) to add them to the
httpd_qgis.conf file also?

- Issue report: I think there is a typo in the httpd_qgis.conf file
setting PATH and QT_PLUGIN_PATH. It mentions apps/qt5/ while it should be
apps/Qt5/ (uppercase Q).

In my process, I didn't set the gdal or db paths above, I fixed the
uppercase typo and when I tested I could get a reply for GetCapabilities as in
the docs. Using the QGIS training project, I could do a GetMap which successfully returned my map canvas image. Good! My server is OP!
Well, this is where I got lost. I thought the request would output in the
browser some image i could zoom in, pan, maybe identify... But NO, I got a
plain, static image. What am I supposed to do next? How can I make my
project queryable, zoomable, pannable, anythingable... in a web browser?
I might have overlooked, but the docs does not seem t provide any information for
newbies like me, for the next step. Where should I look now? Your help to
get out of this trouble would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Harrissou

[0]
https://docs.qgis.org/3.22/en/docs/server_manual/getting_started.html#installation-on-windows