[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] Questions of a newbie starting with QGIS Server

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 01:10:02 PDT 2022

Hi,

As Richard mentioned, the old XML-based OGC WMS/WFS/WCS & C. protocols are
plain API protocols and do not provide a full browseable website, they were
designed for machine2machine communications.

OAPIF (AKA WFS3) provides a full website though, but the protocol mandates
URL rewriting, which means that it won't work out of the box unless you
configure your web server to transform an URL to instruct QGIS server which
QGIS project you want to actually serve.

The other option, as Rosa suggestd is to use the new QGIS server catalog,
is also requires rewrite of the URL but a much simpler one because the
catalog itself takes care of creating rewrite rules for all the QGIS
projects that are listed in one of more directories or DB connections for
QGIS projects stored into a PG DB.

I'm not sure about windows, but you might also have a look at the
standalone development server, it integrates a web server and it is
supposed to work out of the box with (almost) zero configuration.

Cheers

Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net
ItOpen:   www.itopen.it