[QGIS-Developer] QgsSettings

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 05:48:10 PST 2022

Hi all,

While working on the refactoring of settings (see
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/245), I am
thinking about deprecating the QgsSettings class and directly integrate its
functionality within QgsSettingsRegistry.

I would need a bit of help to understand the rationale behind QgsSettings.

The use of global settings is pretty clear to me and migrating this is ok.

I am wondering about the different constructors (
https://api.qgis.org/api/3.28/classQgsSettings.html) which correspond to
the different constructors of QSettings.
While it makes sense to have these constructors, I don't see them used
anywhere in the code. So, it means that they are never used within QGIS
application.
I am wondering why QgsSettings isn't used with a static instance.

So, are these constructors really used and meaningful?
Would it make sense to have 2 static instances of QSettings (1 user, 1
global)?

Many thanks for any input.
Best wishes,

Denis