[QGIS-Developer] Building pyqgis doc locally

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 23:35:23 PST 2022

Hi Denis,

> The main issue is that the website is added to a branch (gh-pages) and
> is versioned.
>  From time to time, I squash the commits and force push to avoid such a
> large size (obviously, it's been a while since I didn't do it).
> I am a bit reluctant at squashing / force pushing directly from the
> workflow as any error would mean losing the pages (potentially losing
> the older versions).
>
> By fetching only the master branch you should be better.

got it, thanks

> Then, building docs shouldn't take too long. What duration are you
> experiencing?

just reading sources it's more than 10 minutes while building the
documentation is still running (so more or less 30 minutes). I don't
understand if/where I can skip sources and compile just a small small
part of the documentation since what I want to to is only theme related.

> Another approach is to do a PR on the repo, you will have a built
> example at https://qgis.org/pyqgis/master_PRXX
> <https://qgis.org/pyqgis/master_PRXX> (replace XX) when it's finished.

and this can be done also to the forked repository right?

> I believe it would require a bit of love to improve this workflow and
> drop the gh-pages branch.
>
> I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Denis

Matteo