[QGIS-Developer] Offering QGIS installers through Windows store

Julien Moura julien.moura at oslandia.com
Fri Dec 16 07:59:52 PST 2022

Hello,

I'm working on the packaging purpose at Oslandia.

Because we are committed to pushing QGIS in the most industrial
information systems, at Oslandia we have been very interested in QGIS
deployment for a few years now.

We have reused and actively contributed to many projects: OSGeo4W v1
mirror, NSIS and PowerShell recipes, presentations at FOSS4Gs (or at
QGIS conferences), etc.

Since this year, we are making efforts to de-correlate software
deployment and end-user configurations (profiles): the QGIS Deployment
Toolbelt (https://guts.github.io/qgis-deployment-cli/) has been created
with this goal. It is still a young project and also it is one project
among many others.

We are obviously very interested in this project of packaging QGIS on
Windows Store, a topic that we already discussed internally last year
and that I discussed namely with Régis Haubourg in Florence. We
obviously have some question marks and discussion points to make sure
that all the process is in line with community and open-source
governance. Still, it will be quite a challenge and we think it is a
good direction to follow.

As noted by others, this seems a huge undertaking though, and
uncertainty paves the road and make this goal a distant future.

We could start with gathering and referencing all resources dedicated to
packaging, which would sum up as a website ( packaging.qgis.org ?) with
all documentation regarding OSGeo4W recipes ( beyond the aging OSGeo
trac ), and other packaging methods, like customized .deb packaging.

The goal is to structure and promote knowledge on this topic to attract
packager in addition to developers.

And then we would also create packaging process documentation for
Windows Store.

Regards,
Julien M