[QGIS-Developer] Offering QGIS installers through Windows store

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Dec 17 14:23:01 PST 2022

Hi,

I've said it a few times, but I'll repeat myself one more time as it
can't hurt :-) I'd strongly advise for QGIS Windows installer to rely on
the massive Conda-Forge packaging effort. OSGeo4W is a bit of a
masochist effort when one sees that it packages everything from scratch,
a bit like if QGIS would take the responsibility of creating a Linux
distro from scratch, whereas leveraging Conda-Forge would enable QGIS to
benefit from > 90% of its dependencies already packages by a much bigger
community. The QGIS community could then concentrate on the QGIS build
recipee, and probably a few other packages specific to QGIS. Then the
QGIS installer itself would mostly bundle a subset of Conda-Forge
dependencies pinned at the wished versions.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com