[QGIS-Developer] qt5 releases, packaging impact?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Jul 1 13:04:46 PDT 2022

I'm writing as a packager of qgis (pkgsrc).

A while ago there was discussion about QT making bug fix releases of
5.15 proprietary, more or less.   I see that
  "Qt 5.15.10 LTS Commercial"
was just released on June 7.

And,
  qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.15.5.tar.xz
available at
  https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/5.15/5.15.5/single/
appears to have been released on June 17.

I haven't seen anything about this in a long time, so I wonder:

  Obviously it seems like all packaging systems should be updating the
  5.15.x releases as they come out.  Correct?

  The future is qt6, but I wonder if qgis with qt6 is fully reliable,
  and if qt6 is considered baked enough.    Should I be trying hard to
  get qt6 fully packaged and transition qgis to it?  For 3.22, or just
  for 3.26, or ?

  Anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Greg