[QGIS-Developer] qt5 releases, packaging impact?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Jul 6 01:42:00 PDT 2022

Hi Greg,

As of right now, Qt6 support in QGIS is experimental and needs more work
and testing. Parts have been successfully compiled using Qt6 in the
past, but I am not aware of anyone shipping QGIS bundled with Qt6.
If you want to package QGIS for stable use, I would recommend sticking to
the latest Qt 5.15 packages (ideally with the KDE patchset included
https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection)

Best regards
Matthias

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 10:04 PM Greg Troxel via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> I'm writing as a packager of qgis (pkgsrc).
>
> A while ago there was discussion about QT making bug fix releases of
> 5.15 proprietary, more or less.   I see that
>   "Qt 5.15.10 LTS Commercial"
> was just released on June 7.
>
> And,
>   qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.15.5.tar.xz
> available at
>   https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/5.15/5.15.5/single/
> appears to have been released on June 17.
>
> I haven't seen anything about this in a long time, so I wonder:
>
>   Obviously it seems like all packaging systems should be updating the
>   5.15.x releases as they come out.  Correct?
>
>   The future is qt6, but I wonder if qgis with qt6 is fully reliable,
>   and if qt6 is considered baked enough.    Should I be trying hard to
>   get qt6 fully packaged and transition qgis to it?  For 3.22, or just
>   for 3.26, or ?
>
>   Anything else I should know?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

 <https://qfield.org/get/>

QFIELD 2.0 IS HERE! - Hold the power of QGIS in
your hand - learn more
<https://www.opengis.ch/2022/04/05/qfield-2-0-is-here/> - get it now
<https://qfield.org/get>