[QGIS-Developer] Time for db manager to become an "opt-in" plugin?

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) carlo.bertelli at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 14:48:40 PDT 2022

I think José has a good suggestion, maybe a fully integrated SQL console
could be the other way around the browser panel.
Having a "Database" Menu without any database management tool could be
funny and deceiving for new users. The idea of having SQL as another
language to manage geographic DBMSs (and not only PostGIS) seems
interesting albeit not new (who remembers MapBasic in MapInfo?). For some
time it seemed that the integration with Spatialite could become so strong
that I was becoming the way to handle all the features of QGIS in a
data-centric way.
Then the affirmation of geopackage seems to have changed the outlook for
QGIS.