[QGIS-Developer] Build QGIS with PDAL on Debian bookworm: missing libpdalcpp.so

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 17 00:39:53 PDT 2023

On 8/17/23 09:14, Werner Macho via QGIS-Developer wrote:
> As I am a very long time debian user I would have no problem with that, but
> I guess there is still a difference between compiling a package and
> maintaining a debian package :)

I was a longtime Debian user too before I got involved in Debian itself.

> Honestly I have never built a debian package yet.

Fortunately you don't have to start from scratch, you can start with the
packaging that already exists:

  https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/pdal

You'll need to change the Maintainer and the Vcs-* fields in
debian/control. The Debian Science team seems like a good alternative to
GIS team, so set the Maintainer field to:

  Debian Science Maintainers
<debian-science-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org>

Set the Uploaders field to your email address, and the other co-maintainers.

Join the Debian Science team as documented:

  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience

Follow their team policy:

  https://science-team.pages.debian.net/policy/

Update the package to the latest upstream release, the Debian GIS team
policy can help with its documented workflow:

https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/packaging.html#git-packaging

Push the packaging repo to the science-team namespace on Salsa.

Find a sponsor for uploads of the package to the Debian archive in the
Science team, on debian-mentors, or Sponsoring of Blends:

  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Sponsoring
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/
  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends/SoB

Learn from your peers in the team and wider Debian community to improve
your knowledge of packaging and its best practices. Use this to host
custom packages in your local network that are unsuitable for Debian but
better built once installed on multiple hosts in your network.

Since PDAL builts shared libraries, learn about transitions and the need
to coordinate them with the Release Team when the SONAME gets bumped and
the library package(s) renamed:

  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions

When you get the hang of things consider becoming a Debian Maintainer so
that you can upload the pdal package yourself (as long as it doesn't
introduce new binary packages like when the SONAME gets bumped):

  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer

Or apply to become a Debian Developer to upload any package yourself:

  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper

Kind Regards,

Bas

--