[QGIS-Developer] Exporting georeferenced plans in jpg format with corresponding Tab files

MATTHEWS, David David.Matthews at cheshireeast.gov.uk
Wed Jul 12 11:33:26 PDT 2023

Hi folks,

Ability to export georeferenced plans out of QGIS in jpg format

At the current time when georeferencing a plan in QGIS the georeferenced output is in tiff format only. I'd like to suggest that users are able to choose to also have the output in jpg format. Once maps have been georeferenced they often need to then be loaded into other softwares, such as street or addressing gazetteer software. As the georeferencer in QGIS currently only permits files to be output from the georeferencer in tiff format this can result in georeferenced plans that have file sizes in excess of 100mb, which can cause performance issues when loaded into other mapping systems. QGIS has the ability to convert tiff files into jpg files, however it would be very useful if the georeferencer was able to include that function within the georeferencer so that users could choose to have the georeferenced output in jpg format.

Ability to create Tab files for raster files

QGIS currently includes the functionality to export vector format feature layers into tab file format. However, the same function isn't currently available for raster datasets in QGIS though. It would be really helpful if when plans are georeferenced that the ability to create a corresponding raster Tab file was also available. In the two examples below you'll see that the Tab file in both cases is only 1Kb in size. This is because they are simple text files. Some softwares only permit raster files that have corresponding raster Tab files to be loaded into its software, so having this ability would enable greater flexibility. If QGIS was also able to create these simple tab files for raster layers it would be a great help!

[cid:image001.png at 01D9B4F7.B8800620]

[cid:image002.png at 01D9B4F7.B8800620]

Two example raster Tab files are attached. Essentially they contain coordinates relating to the associated map / plan.

I imagine that being able have georeferenced plans in jpg format will help loads of people, so it would be a good improvement I think. The ability to also create corresponding Tab files for tiff and jpg images would also knock down a few of the walls that propriety software has inadvertently created.

Kind regards,

David Matthews - GIS, ICT Shared Service
Tel: 01244 973158
e-mail: david.matthews at cheshireeast.gov.uk<mailto:david.matthews at cheshireeast.gov.uk>

Confidentiality: This email and its contents and any attachments are intended only for the above named. As the email may contain confidential or legally privileged information, if you are not the above named person or responsible for delivery to the above named, or suspect that you are not an intended recipient please delete or destroy the email and any attachments immediately.

Security and Viruses: This note confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses. We cannot accept any responsibility for any damage or loss caused by software viruses.

Monitoring: The Council undertakes monitoring of both incoming and outgoing emails. You should therefore be aware that if you send an email to a person within the Council it may be subject to any monitoring deemed necessary by the organisation from time to time. The views of the author may not necessarily reflect those of the Council.

Access as a public body: The Council may be required to disclose this email (or any response to it) under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000, unless the information in it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act.

Legal documents: The Council does not accept service of legal documents by email.

To find out how we use your information see our privacy notice.

https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/council_and_democracy/council_information/website_information/privacy-notices/privacy-notice.aspx

OFFICIAL