[QGIS-Developer] Re-discussing the QGIS release schedule - in combination with the quarantine rule for LTR versions

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 06:47:32 PST 2023

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for raising this issue.

>From our experience with various large organizations, they generally skip
most of the minor releases. But for those who fund a specific bug fix, they
will immediately upgrade to the latest LTR as soon as the fix appears in
the release.
So, having the current regular releases of LTR suits both sets of users.
The LTR releases can be skipped for most organisations but also crucial for
those who pay to fix a bug in QGIS master and get backported to LTR.

Kind regards
Saber

On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 at 10:24, Andreas Neumann via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Like that other decision - that was a bit hard to find (you helped me find
> it in QEP 239) - I don't know exactly where the quarantine rule originated.
> I am pretty sure there was discussion.
>
> Nyall: can you please share some background when and why it was introduced
> and if this decision can be found in some QEP or PSC decision?
>
> Note that I am not questioning the quarantine rule - I think it makes
> sense - but I want to discuss the combination of the quarantine rule with
> the thinned out release cycle - and how we can improve things in this
> respect.
>
> Thank you all for the discussion,
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2023-03-01 10:16, Jürgen E. Fischer via QGIS-Developer wrote:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Tue, 28. Feb 2023 at 08:55:49 +0100, Andreas Neumann via QGIS-Developer
> wrote:
>
> However, the situation is, that there is also a "quarantine rule" - which
> is not mentioned in QEP 239 - but it helps to prevent untested patches to
> end up in LTR versions, by delaying the backports until the backport was
> first tested in the non-LTR stable release.
>

> Where is that quarantine rule?  Is it tied into the backport bot?
>
> In the good old days I'd apply my fixes to master also to the release
> branches,
> once the showed to work in master and didn't produce additional complains
> from
> users of the nightlies.  And that ideally not shortly before the release so
> people could still try the release nightlies.
>

> Jürgen

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk