[QGIS-Developer] QGIS webserver size vs publishing old docs

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Mon Mar 20 08:19:20 PDT 2023

Howdy!

What makes them so big? It really surprises me that 3.22 is smaller than
3.10.

Nerdy idea: If it is lots of HTML files, would pre-compressing them on
the file system and letting the server serve them from that be an
option? Or maybe using a compressed filesystem? I had lots of fun
serving gigantic text archives using FUSE in the past.

Considering how cheap hosting static files is, why is there even a need
to care? Afaik the docs.qgis.org server is fronted by CloudFlare caching
so performance is no issue. OVH offers 1TB servers for 6€/month. I'd
gladly sponsor this for all eternity.

As a user, as long as documentation is not stored locally but help
buttons open a *webbrowser for remotely-hosted pages*, I would expect
*any* released version to have its documentation available forever.
Otherwise part of my QGIS is remotely broken by this.

Cheers, Hannes

Am 20.03.23 um 12:21 schrieb DelazJ via QGIS-Developer:
> Hi all (and sorry for the cross-post)
>
> Richard has raised the issue a couple of times with no specific
> feedback/decision but I think now we NEED to go forward : there is not
> enough space on our servers to store everything we want to share.
> Yesterday, I updated the docs infrastructure to serve translated
> versions of the 3.28 documentation but they are not published this
> morning, probably because of lack of space to get them pasted.
>
> # du -hs *
> 255M    doc-test
> 579M    QGIS-Documentation
> 7.2G    QGIS-Documentation-2.14
> 6.3G    QGIS-Documentation-2.18
> 7.7G    QGIS-Documentation-2.8
> 12G     QGIS-Documentation-3.10
> 11G     QGIS-Documentation-3.16
> 9.4G    QGIS-Documentation-3.22
> 579M    QGIS-Documentation-3.28
> 8.0G    QGIS-Documentation-3.4
> 31G     QGIS-tests
> 16G     QGIS-Website
>
> An option could be to rent a bigger  webserver but a few
> questions/suggestions so far (I'm only speaking for the docs as I
> don't know what is behind other folders):
> - Do we need to serve all these versions? FYI we recently silently
> removed and redirected <2.8 docs (and nobody complained) so we could
> probably be more "aggressive"
> - It could be nice to define some strategy on this area: e.g. we keep
> publishing master, current LTR, previous LTR and any older URL is
> redirected to current LTR --> meaning that today we would be serving
> only testing in English, 3.28 and 3.22 in English + translations. OR
> one more older LTR (ie 3.16)?
>
> PS: this issue somehow also affects the PyQGIS documentation repo [0],
> due to github-pages size limits
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>
> [0] https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis/issues/104#issuecomment-1354338491

Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

Aufwind durch Wissen!
Web-Seminare und Online-Schulungen
bei der www.foss-academy.com

WhereGroup GmbH