[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS webserver size vs publishing old docs

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Mon Mar 20 09:16:23 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I agree with Johannes - that old docs - at least of LTR versions should
ideally be kept around for more years.

I wonder what is the content of "QGIS-tests" (the largest share storage
wise)? Is this the "latest" documentation version in the works - or is it
the test results of the performance tests? Does it contain old stuff that
could be cleaned?

Andreas

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 at 12:22, DelazJ via QGIS-PSC <qgis-psc at lists.osgeo.org>
wrote:

> Hi all (and sorry for the cross-post)
>
> Richard has raised the issue a couple of times with no specific
> feedback/decision but I think now we NEED to go forward : there is not
> enough space on our servers to store everything we want to share.
> Yesterday, I updated the docs infrastructure to serve translated versions
> of the 3.28 documentation but they are not published this morning, probably
> because of lack of space to get them pasted.
>
> # du -hs *
> 255M    doc-test
> 579M    QGIS-Documentation
> 7.2G    QGIS-Documentation-2.14
> 6.3G    QGIS-Documentation-2.18
> 7.7G    QGIS-Documentation-2.8
> 12G     QGIS-Documentation-3.10
> 11G     QGIS-Documentation-3.16
> 9.4G    QGIS-Documentation-3.22
> 579M    QGIS-Documentation-3.28
> 8.0G    QGIS-Documentation-3.4
> 31G     QGIS-tests
> 16G     QGIS-Website
>
> An option could be to rent a bigger  webserver but a few
> questions/suggestions so far (I'm only speaking for the docs as I don't
> know what is behind other folders):
> - Do we need to serve all these versions? FYI we recently silently removed
> and redirected <2.8 docs (and nobody complained) so we could probably be
> more "aggressive"
> - It could be nice to define some strategy on this area: e.g. we keep
> publishing master, current LTR, previous LTR and any older URL is
> redirected to current LTR --> meaning that today we would be serving only
> testing in English, 3.28 and 3.22 in English + translations. OR one more
> older LTR (ie 3.16)?
>
> PS: this issue somehow also affects the PyQGIS documentation repo [0], due
> to github-pages size limits
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>
> [0] https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis/issues/104#issuecomment-1354338491