[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-community-team] [Qgis-psc] QGIS webserver size vs publishing old docs

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Mar 20 13:38:55 PDT 2023

On 3/20/23 17:31, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Sure - buying more space is an option. I would like to get an idea - however - what the monthly expected costs are. Is this a "virtual" server at Hetzner? How much disk space does it have currently, how much do we want? What is the price difference?

Building is done on a real Hetzner server: qgis6.org a Hetzner EX42 Root server  about 50euro/month
Serving the site + docs is done on www2.qgis.org a Hetzner Cloud cpx31  160GB disk 14euro/ month (as cloud would be cheaper etc etc)

We can upgrade the www2 to a newer bigger CLOUD server, but that is about 35 euro/month for just 80Gb more..
Probably then it is better to leave the cloud, and just add an extra root server on which you have a couple of terrabytes... for 50 euro/month

Can we sit together in Den Bosch and do decide something on this? I really feel unhappy if people telling us "why is there even a need to care": we/I am not a sysadmin, so everybody with great knowledge and idea's: please help out!

> At some point - cleanup of old stuff just makes sense. Getting rid of version 2.14 and 3.8 (it probable should mean 3.8 and not 2.8 - right) would make sense. Documentation always focuses on LTR versions, so all the "in-between" versions that are older than 3-4 years could be deleted.
>>         # du -hs *
>>         255M    doc-test
>>         579M    QGIS-Documentation
>>         7.2G    QGIS-Documentation-2.14
>>         6.3G    QGIS-Documentation-2.18
>>         7.7G    QGIS-Documentation-2.8
>>         12G     QGIS-Documentation-3.10
>>         11G     QGIS-Documentation-3.16
>>         9.4G    QGIS-Documentation-3.22
>>         579M    QGIS-Documentation-3.28
>>         8.0G    QGIS-Documentation-3.4
>>         31G     QGIS-tests
>>         16G     QGIS-Website

We still have version 2 (TWO) .8 .14 and .18 around :-) so it NOT a typo...
So: can I delete those?
And also 3.10 (as this is a 2018 release)

The QGIS-tests dir, contains the info available at:
http://test.qgis.org
BUT!!! that url/dns actually still points to the old server (qgis2)
That site hosts the ogcapif / wfs / wms tests (untill 26th of januari)???

Anybody feeling need or responsible for this?
We are not serving (yet) test.qgis.org from www2 ...

Regards,

Richard