[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS webserver size vs publishing old docs

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Mar 20 09:31:36 PDT 2023

Hi Matthias,

Sure - buying more space is an option. I would like to get an idea -
however - what the monthly expected costs are. Is this a "virtual"
server at Hetzner? How much disk space does it have currently, how much
do we want? What is the price difference?

But is also good to get rid of stuff that is hardly ever used and
accumulates over time.

At some point - cleanup of old stuff just makes sense. Getting rid of
version 2.14 and 3.8 (it probable should mean 3.8 and not 2.8 - right)
would make sense. Documentation always focuses on LTR versions, so all
the "in-between" versions that are older than 3-4 years could be
deleted.

Andreas

On 2023-03-20 17:21, Matthias Kuhn via QGIS-PSC wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> before we all spend too much energy and time on this, would simply
> buying more space for that also be a (probably not even that expensive)
> option?
>
> Matthias
>
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 5:16 PM Andreas Neumann via QGIS-Developer
> <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I agree with Johannes - that old docs - at least of LTR versions should
> ideally be kept around for more years.
>
> I wonder what is the content of "QGIS-tests" (the largest share storage
> wise)? Is this the "latest" documentation version in the works - or is
> it the test results of the performance tests? Does it contain old stuff
> that could be cleaned?
>
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 at 12:22, DelazJ via QGIS-PSC
> <qgis-psc at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all (and sorry for the cross-post)
>
> Richard has raised the issue a couple of times with no specific
> feedback/decision but I think now we NEED to go forward : there is not
> enough space on our servers to store everything we want to share.
> Yesterday, I updated the docs infrastructure to serve translated
> versions of the 3.28 documentation but they are not published this
> morning, probably because of lack of space to get them pasted.
>
> # du -hs *
> 255M    doc-test
> 579M    QGIS-Documentation
> 7.2G    QGIS-Documentation-2.14
> 6.3G    QGIS-Documentation-2.18
> 7.7G    QGIS-Documentation-2.8
> 12G     QGIS-Documentation-3.10
> 11G     QGIS-Documentation-3.16
> 9.4G    QGIS-Documentation-3.22
> 579M    QGIS-Documentation-3.28
> 8.0G    QGIS-Documentation-3.4
> 31G     QGIS-tests
> 16G     QGIS-Website
>
> An option could be to rent a bigger  webserver but a few
> questions/suggestions so far (I'm only speaking for the docs as I don't
> know what is behind other folders):
> - Do we need to serve all these versions? FYI we recently silently
> removed and redirected <2.8 docs (and nobody complained) so we could
> probably be more "aggressive"
> - It could be nice to define some strategy on this area: e.g. we keep
> publishing master, current LTR, previous LTR and any older URL is
> redirected to current LTR --> meaning that today we would be serving
> only testing in English, 3.28 and 3.22 in English + translations. OR
> one more older LTR (ie 3.16)?
>
> PS: this issue somehow also affects the PyQGIS documentation repo [0],
> due to github-pages size limits
>
> Regards,
> Harrissou
>
> [0] https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis/issues/104#issuecomment-1354338491

> Andreas Neumann QGIS.ORG [1] board member (treasurer)

  [2]

Best of Swiss Enterprise App-Award for QField [2] - Hold the power of
QGIS in your hand - get it now [3]