[QGIS-Developer] Backward compatibility for style in project files between QGIS versions

Etienne Trimaille etienne.trimaille at gmail.com
Wed May 3 01:33:25 PDT 2023

This PR was about the symbology, but we noticed there are many other parts
of the QGS file which are not backward compatible.
If I'm not wrong :
- a WMS shortname on a group made with QGIS 3.20 can not be read with QGIS
3.18.
- field server configuration made with QGIS 3.16 can not be read with QGIS
3.14
- ...

These settings, (which are way older in the QGIS development, i.e already
present in QGIS 2), are just lost when read with a lower version of QGIS.
And obviously, all new features, options, checkbox etc are lost as well.

I understand, it's not easy to migrate a lot of softwares and to follow all
their versions in a big organization.
But using a QGIS recent version to write a file and then ask a lower
version QGIS to read is, anyway, leading to some reading issues I would
say. The PR was indeed trying to keep some backward compatibility about
symbology, which was nice, but there are other settings which are lost
already, so I would be careful with other settings in general ;-)

Just for your information, but I noticed these other settings as well ;-)

Le mar. 2 mai 2023 à 09:38, FERRATON Alain (Adjoint au chef de groupe) -
SG/DNUM/MSP/DS/GSG via QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> a