[QGIS-Developer] Merging MinGW CI workflows ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Oct 13 02:18:00 PDT 2023

As I got failure in a MingW workflow [1] and could not figure out what
the problem was due to the huge size of CI step logs, I'm trying to find
a way to reduce that log size and stumbled upon the fact that two
different windows-related workflows are using two different approaches:

  - .github/workflows/mingw64.yml (the problematic one)

    Uses a single "Build QGIS Application" step doing build
    configuration (ccache, cmake), build (verbose) and install.
    Additional steps create a portable .zip and upload the artifacts.

  - .github/workflows/mingw-w64-msys2.yml

    Uses separate steps for build configuration and build
    (non-verbose). Does not install. Does not create or upload
    artifacts.

I think the multi-step approach would be easier to use because each
step runs in its own container and produces its own logs, thus letting
you (the developer) only download the log of interest, so I'm thinking
to adapt the problematic one to a multi-step approach too.

But then I wondered: do we really need two separate workflows ?
Would it make sense to merge them into a single one ?

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/actions/runs/6493640195/job/17634987561?pr=54923
[2] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/54924

--strk;

  Libre GIS consultant/developer