[QGIS-Developer] QGIS repository management

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sun Oct 15 13:44:32 PDT 2023

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 08:58:30AM +1300, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 at 05:43, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>
> >   2. Allow those with "write access" to self-approve PRs
>
> -1. What's the real motivation here? Why the urgency to get unreviewed code
>     into QGIS?

A recent example of urgency: I broke the pre-commit hook for most
developers, I could have pushed the fix earlier if I didn't have
to wait for a review.

The other motivation is not about urgency but about a conflicting policy:

  - I can be the _only_ reviewer approving a complete stranger's
    proposed change.

  - I can NOT be the _only_ reviewer approving my proposed change.

Is trust given to _me_ as a "reviewer" or not ?
It is in the first case, it isn't in the second case.

> Again, I am strongly of the opinion that more exhaustive code
> merging policies protects our users and their trust in QGIS.

I'm not against policies per-se. For example I'm strongly of the
opinion that those who propose changes should run as many tests
as possible to verify the effects of those changes, and would give
high priority to tasks that aim at making this test runs as smooth
as possible.

Another policy I believe in is that whoever is allowed to apply
changes to the repository should take on the responsibility of
fixing bugs introduced by those changes.

--strk;