[QGIS-Developer] QGIS repository management

Bourdon, Jean-François (DIF) Jean-Francois.Bourdon at mrnf.gouv.qc.ca
Mon Oct 16 12:57:39 PDT 2023

[Intranet logo]

I'm far from a regular contributor to QGIS and thus not affected by this issue, but I see this review process the same way I see how peer-reviewed research papers get published (but a bit less stringent). In research, your manuscript is sent to 3 or 4 reviewers that will give comments, then you make corrections and resend the manuscript for a final review before getting published. This workflow is valid for every researcher that want to publish in a peer-reviewed journal, even for those that are also reviewer. It can be slow and frustrating at times, but having an other set of eyes on your work usually result in a better overall paper.

Software development is different than peer-reviewed research publication but getting inspiration by this centuries old process is certainly appropriate. Going back to QGIS, I see the value in having the PR of a reviewer reviewed by an other reviewer in this second fresh set of eyes that can improve on an already fine job. Every reviewer can be trusted for their expertise and judgement... but needing someone else to review your code shouldn't be seen as distrustful.

As for the conflict of interest if the reviewer works for the same company, in the academia world, the reviewer would be in conflict of interest (real or not) and would need to withdraw (the equivalent of a company being the same department of a research institute or a close collaborator). Considering that in academia this constrain has a lot to do with avoiding an idea being pushed without criticism, it might be overkill in software development where the ideas/orientations are not decided on a PR basis, but more at the PSC and with the general consensus between the devs (that's how I see it, I might be wrong).

Jean-François Bourdon, ing.f.
Analyste en télédétection
Direction des inventaires forestiers
Ministère des Ressources naturelles et des Forêts
5700, 4e Avenue Ouest, local A-108
Québec (Québec) G1H 6R1
Téléphone : 418 627-8669, poste 704304
jean-francois.bourdon at mrnf.gouv.qc.ca