[QGIS-Developer] QGIS repository management

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Oct 16 07:56:43 PDT 2023

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 04:41:42PM +0200, Sandro Santilli via QGIS-Developer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 09:59:35AM +1300, Nyall Dawson via QGIS-Developer wrote:
>
> > If you flip the situation, you'll see that yes, you do have trust!
> >
> > - a complete stranger CANNOT approve their own changes
> > - a complete stranger CANNOT approve other stranger's changes
> > - a complete stranger CANNOT approve an approved member's changes
> >
> > vs
> >
> > - an approved member CANNOT approve their own changes
> > - an approved member CAN approve a complete stranger's changes
> > - an approved member CAN approve a another approved member's changes
>
> That's partial trust. I'm trusted to be able to judge someone else's
> work but not to judge my own work !
>
> Beside the same-company reviews things, consider I could always ask a
> friend to file PRs for the sole purpose of me being able to merge them
> in (I cannot merge my own...). The policy is flawed to me.

My suggestion here is that having given someone "write privileges" status
means the community trusts that individual to know the rules and be able
to apply them, in a way that does not striclty requires someone else
to guard after his/her work.

This isn't to say that reviews aren't important and that all of use
should always aim at having reviews, but that the judgement abilities
of the "writers" should be trusted, and if that trust is not hold
anymore the "write privileges" should be revoked, following a documented
procedure.

--strk;