[QGIS-Developer] Maintainance of QGIS Plugin repository

Admire Nyakudya addloe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 06:41:44 PDT 2024

Hi All

I help out in the approval process of QGIS plugins. There are various
issues that are listed https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/issues to
streamline the approval process of plugins.

Over the years there has been a steady increase in plugins that are not
approved <https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/unapproved/>. This is due to
a number of reasons:

* Duplication of functionality. Plugin functionality already exists in QGIS.

* Plugin authors not willing to address issues raised during the
approval process.

* Plugins containing binaries (Not really sure about the policy here).

* Plugins which are a fork of an existing plugin and then they get
renamed to something else without permission from the original author or
the author is no longer interested i.e
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/active_fire2/.

* Old plugins that still use the old architecture i.e Python2.

Could we either implement the following changes to maintain/cleanup the
plugin repository.

* Old plugins that were never approved because the author did not care
to resolve issues flagged be deleted from the repository i.e
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/ban_adresse_locator/

* Plugins that have vague names and offer functionality that is
ambiguious i.e https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/upload/ be deleted.

* We could automate the deletion of plugins where feedback has been
received but the author hasn't done any corrective measure maybe after a
month or couple of months.

* Automatically flag the plugins which are not approved to Deprecated
after some time.

I think the above and other recommendations will encourage people to use
the plugin repository properly as currently it feels like a dumping ground.

On a side note: What is the policy for plugin names. I know it is up to
the author to give his plugin a suitable name but something like
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/transfer_layerfilegdb_to_geopackage/#plugin-versions
looks like a description rather than a name.

Regards

Adire

--
Email Signature

  Admire Nyakudya

GIS Engineer

Work: Sand Technologies <https://www.sandtech.com/>

Location: Home Address <https://w3w.co/amused.thunder.wins>

Phone: +27 (63) 067-038--9982 <tel:+27670389982>

Email: addloe at gmail.com

Social Media:

  * LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mazano-gis-geek>
  * GitHub <https://github.com/NyakudyaA>