[QGIS-Developer] GDAL processing algorithms issues due the default output layer extensions weirdly changed

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Sun Feb 25 23:05:06 PST 2024

Hi all,

Il 26/02/2024 00:23, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
 > Hmm, I wonder if it's a plugin changing this setting. I've definitely
 > seen plugins before doing unfriendly things like this...

I also suspected that a plugin may be involved, but I was unable to find
a common plugin in all the reports.

Now it seems to me more likely that it may be the management of the
settings, after seeing https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/53204 and
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/53458 precisely relating to the
DefaultOutputRasterLayerExt and the DefaultOutputVectorLayerExt settings
and the -1 index.

Il 26/02/2024 01:38, Even Rouault ha scritto:
 > For example when using the ".xml" extension as a vector output, you'll
 > probably be surprised that the obscure PDS4 vector driver (tabular data
 > for planetary datasets) is used!

> ==> Those settings should actually be deprecated and replaced by others
> that save a GDAL driver name ... plus an extension, because the "MapInfo
> File" driver produces quite different output if you chose ".tab" or
> ".mif" (or the GeoJSONSeq driver that will use different separators if
> you select the ".geojsonl" or ".geojsons" extensions)

The problem occurs also when saving the algorithm output to a file,
instead of a temporary output, and choosing an extension.

Best regards.

Andrea