[QGIS-Developer] Problems with text when exporting to SVG from composer

Pierson Julie julie.pierson at univ-brest.fr
Tue Feb 27 00:59:04 PST 2024

Hi all,

Some months ago there was a discussion
<https://discourse.osgeo.org/t/qgis-fr-user-ameliorer-lexport-svg-de-qgis/274/11>
on the french qgis user group about problems with svg export in QGIS.
This is a follow-up to this discussion but centered on text, because it
seemed better to start with a more "focused" problem :-) For a bit of
context my colleague Nelly Martin and myself would like to help improve
QGIS export to SVG to help other colleagues (and ourselves !) switch to
QGIS. We're aware that QGIS has great possibilities to make maps, but
for a lot of people editing GIS output in vector graphic editors
software like Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer, or Inkscape is part
of their workflow.

So this is an attempt to group multiple issues with text and SVG export.
Maybe this can help to see if these multiple bugs have the same source ?

1. *Text gets exported as separated lines or separated letters :* when
exporting multi-line text, each line gets exported as a distinct text
element. When exporting curved label, each letter gets exported as a
distinct element as well. This is documented in issue 24639
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/24369>. There is also an older
issue documenting an inverse problem when importing into QGIS a SVG with
multi-line text created in Inkscape : issue 11856
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/11856>.

2. *Wrong font size :* when setting a font size of 10pt in QGIS for some
text and exporting to SVG, and opening SVG in Inkscape, Affinity
Designer,  or Adobe Illustrator, font size is 10.07747412 pt. This is
documented in issue 49761 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/49761>.

3. *Wrong font :* exported SVG do not always use correct fonts, simple
fonts are ok but more complicated one are not. This is documented in
issue 47017 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/47017>.

4. *Wrong character :* minus character gets exported as a dash, this is
documented in issue 44444 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/44444>.
Perhaps other characters get exported wrongly as well ?

As I understand it, these bugs are not QGIS-related but stem from Qt. In
the initial discussion in the french list, Régis Haubourg and Julien
Cabieces mentioned that KDAB could be a good interlocutor for Qt
developments (thanks again Régis and Julien for your answers !).

Would this problem be eligible for a QGIS grant, even if this is not a
QGIS development ? Or do you have any idea how to have a go at this ? We
haven't found any funding source for now, but we keep looking ! In the
meantime having input from the QGIS community on this would be valuable.

Thanks a lot for your input ! Have a nice day,

Julie & Nelly.

--
Géomaticienne
UMR 6554 LETG