[QGIS-Developer] Official PSC call on pull request policies

Julien Cabieces julien.cabieces at oslandia.com
Tue Feb 27 23:26:00 PST 2024

Hi all,

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Thanks Nyall for raising this thread!
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 09:21:05AM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>
>> Policy #1: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/56062
>>
>> In short, Sandro proposes that the pull request queue be an open queue
>> of ALL work happening everywhere, in any state of completeness. Pull
>> requests are permitted for semi-complete work, and for long-term
>> (including multi-year) projects which are not yet ready for review or
>> merge. The justification here is that having this work open in the
>> queue makes it widely visible and so that other developers are aware
>> of ongoing work across the community.
>
> I would add that allowing long-term PRs also serves the purpose of making
> it easy for contributors to check the state of their work against CI as
> running tests locally is so hard that I dubt anyone is doing that.

It's completely possible to trigger the GH CI without creating a PR
directly from your fork, you
just have to:
- create a branch
- add your branch name here [0] in a special commit that you will remove
once your work is ready to create a PR
- Push, the CI result appear in https://github.com/<your_gh_login>/QGIS/actions

Prior to that you will have to "Allow all actions and reusable workflows"
from https://github.com/<your_gh_login>/QGIS/settings/actions

It's pretty straightforward, and I use it everytime I want to check on CI.

Regards,
Julien

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/release-3_28/.github/workflows/run-tests.yml#L6