[QGIS-Developer] Strange Mysql (spatial) behaviour: no points visible

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Jan 12 06:06:45 PST 2024

Hi Devs,

I was contacted by a company who after upgrading their db and QGIS did NOT see the points anymore.

Note that 'all worked' when they used QGIS 3.10 (and an older mysql db)
After a MySQL database upgrade, QGIS 3.10 was not able to connect anymore (apparently TLS issues), so they have to use 3.28 or higher.

A small export loaded in my local db was OK in QGIS.

So in a online meeting, sharing their screen I tried:

- opening the db with ogrinfo: all data is visible (POINT(.....)) showing correct coords and attributes
	- attribute table shows all records
	- mapcanvas empty!
	- able to 'zoom to' records (Belgium), but NO points visible/selectable
- creating a tiny table with only id and geom column of 3 records: mapcanvas emtpy
- export the loaded (but invisible) layer to a geopackage: points AND attributes VISIBLE!

There was an encoding issue when exporting to gpkg, but we tried to create a smaller table (very few columns): nothing.

Anybody familiar with QGIS and Mysql has an idea what this not showing of any point/geom could be?

Any hint appreciated, I plan to try to get a connection to the db myself, but hoping I just miss something obvious...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde