[QGIS-Developer] QGIS plugin depends on pypi package

John Lindsay jlindsay at uoguelph.ca
Fri Jan 19 09:41:35 PST 2024

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

"Overall, I'd rather see plugins fail with a message and leave installation as a manual decision than have plugins run pip install."

I would be fine with asking users to manually install the dependency after installing the plugin however, the problem is that QGIS seems to use its own version of Python, rather than the system Python. Opening a terminal and running 'pip install whitebox-workflows' is going to install the package in a place that my QGIS plugin is unable to run. And the process for manually pip installing within QGIS does not seem that straight-forward to me (at least on MacOS). This would be a big ask for my potential users. If Whitebox Worfklows were pure Python code, then the simplest solution would be just to package that code along with my plugin. However, this isn't the case. WbW is actually a native Rust-based library that I have used PyO3 to base a Python extension on. And so, that native library needs to be compiled for the user's OS and that means pip-based installation is the best option. Based on your answer though, I'm wondering if this frontend is even possible given what I have in mind. It's unfortunate if it can't work because the plugin has many hundred very useful tools for geospatial data processing that would be great to access from QGIS for users that are perhaps less interested in Python scripting. Anyhow, thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

John

Prof. John Lindsay

Dept. of Geography, Environment & Geomatics,

The University of Guelph,

Room 122, Hutt Building,

E-mail: jlindsay at uoguelph.ca

Phone: (519) 824-4120 ext. 56074