[QGIS-Developer] QGIS-Website write permissions

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Jan 31 09:45:39 PST 2024

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 11:39:54AM +0100, Richard Duivenvoorde via QGIS-Developer wrote:

> Looking at the last 10 merged PR's I can see at least 5 people
> apparently able to merge:
>
> Marco, Andreas, Juergen, Andrea, Harrisou and myself

I think the need to "guess" isn't the most transparent way of
dealing with permissions.

> PS2 isn't https://github.com/orgs/qgis/teams more helpfull for names?

As I mention, that page shows (to me) 3 teams:

  - Community
  - QGIS Developers
  - QGIS security

I'm part of the "QGIS Developers" (which is "secret", dunno why) and
cannot merge PRs against the website repo.

Maybe we could have additional teams to make things more clear, like:

  - QGIS PSC: write access to all repos, access to settings of all repos
  - QGIS Website Maintainers: write access to the website

I still think the best approach would be for the PSC to keep the
governance page up to date. At the moment that page references the
list of contributors given by GitHub as if it was the list of
maintainers of the projects, but that's clearly not the case:

  https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/governance.html#team

The list given by GitHub is the list of commit authors, but those authors
don't necessarely have the ability to accept PRs so cannot be referenced
to as "maintainers" for sure.

--strk;