[QGIS-Developer] Request for review before new release is cut

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Jun 21 03:01:39 PDT 2024

Hi

I do think 1 of them is a user facing issue. It had a test added a couple
of minutes ago, so it's coming in hot. It's approved now.

2 of the pull requests are in draft, so not ready for review.
The other 2 are not user facing bugs but improving handling of local test
execution, which I don't expect to improve the quality of the release.
Out of these 4 pull requests, 3 have been opened in the last 2 days.

1. Given the above, and also for the reasons already outlined by our
release manager Jürgen, I don't think a change in the release schedule is
justified.

2. It would be great to have a shorter pull request queue. I am not sure
however that lowering the bar to bring code into the codebase with fewer
eyes looking over it is a good approach. I would prefer to try to onboard
new people into this process and give incentives to actively take part in
the review process. Let me take the opportunity to thank Benoit for his
review. As a very active contributor in the QGIS project for 2 years
already, I think we could also consider promoting him to a QGIS core
committer. That would reward him for his efforts, but at the same time also
give more review power to QGIS and maybe motivate others to follow his lead.

Kind regards
Matthias