[QGIS-Developer] DefaultProxy and ambiguous wording in the options

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Mon Mar 18 01:09:10 PDT 2024

Howdy!

Before I make a tiny pull request I better ask:

There has been confusion here because of the wording around the
"DefaultProxy" and default proxy usage in Settings -> Options -> Network:

- Under the checkboxed "Use Proxy for Web Access" section there is
a combobox for the "Proxy type". The first entry is named
"DefaultProxy", others are e.g. "HttpProxy" or "Socks5Proxy".
- Next to the combobox is a text label saying "Default uses system's
proxy". This label is always visible. Grey if the checkbox is not
ticked, as normal text if it is ticked.

There is some ambiguity with this:

- By default the "Use Proxy for Web Access" checkbox is not ticked. So
this could mean that by default the system's proxy is used, even if the
checkbox is not ticked.
- If the checkbox is ticked, then by default the first entry of the
combobox is activated ("DefaultProxy"). Now it could be read that the
default selection of the combobox, the "DefaultProxy", uses the system's
proxy.
- Last, and that is my understanding, "Default uses system's proxy"
actually references the name of the "DefaultProxy" comboxbox option so
if the user selects "DefaultProxy", then the system's proxy is used.
(Same outcome as with the previous one but for a different reason).

I'd suggest using the actual full name of the combobox entry in the help
text: "DefaultProxy uses the system's proxy".
That would be a simple one-line diff in
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/71583dbc0cd33d85d036bcccef5991bbd2e3b632/src/ui/qgsoptionsbase.ui#L5015
It would be nicer to have a combobox entry like "DefaultProxy (uses
system's proxy" in the combobox itself and drop the help text, but that
would be more complex.

The confusion was worse in a local environment because in the German
translation the word "Default" was localized while the "DefaultProxy"
combobox entry was not. :o)

Cheers, Hannes

--
Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

FOSSGIS Konferenz
20.-23. März 2024 in Hamburg
https://www.fossgis-konferenz.de/2024/

WhereGroup-Beiträge auf der FOSSGIS