[QGIS-Developer] DefaultProxy and ambiguous wording in the options

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Mon Mar 18 08:12:58 PDT 2024

Hi Julian, and thank you!

>> - If the checkbox is ticked, then by default the first entry of the
>>    combobox is activated ("DefaultProxy"). Now it could be read that
>>    the default selection of the combobox, the "DefaultProxy", uses the
>>    system's proxy.
>> - Last, and that is my understanding, "Default uses system's proxy"
>>    actually references the name of the "DefaultProxy" comboxbox option
>>    so if the user selects "DefaultProxy", then the system's proxy is
>>    used. (Same outcome as with the previous one but for a different
>>   reason).
>>
> Sorry, I don't get your point here, everything looks normal to me.

My point is the ambiguity of the wording and what "default" might mean
to the user.

The three paragraphs are meant to be potential interpretations by the user.

There is 1) the dialog having its default settings upon first open, 2)
the combobox having a default selection upon activation and 3) the
combobox containing something named "Default...".

Am I right that the text is meant to reference the "DefaultProxy"? I
read up on Qt's proxy handling today and it does seem to work like that.

> Why not having a tool tip instead of a help text just besides the
> combobox ? or at least remove the help text when you don't select
> "Default Proxy" ?

Changing just that one word would be a trivial PR. Changing logic would
require me to compile and test and since I am very rarely doing anything
C++ related it would probably be hours of work (and/or waiting). And
then I would forget something and have to do it again :)

Cheers, Hannes